Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

Are u here?

Customer Question

Are u here?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

RobMark :

yes i am here did you want to work from this chat ?

Customer:

Oh god thank u Rob

Customer:

are u here

RobMark :

yes sorry

Customer:

No I am sorry

RobMark :

but i am ready to go

Customer:

All that time speaking with admin

Customer:

I amso tired

RobMark :

and i can see where you got to was i was told not to discuss anything like that with customers. smh well anyway lets get the job done

Customer:

Yes I was scoled too. We can keep this to businesss but they dont care if say a file isbeing downloaded that we bs about the Mets or Yankeesor even go off topic...

Customer:

I was schooled 2nite and am tired so

Customer:

I am off ona boat to Sweeden tomorow so lets finish, then we can go from there I hope with my bigger questions to u

Customer:

TV although used by me many times is off JAs table.

RobMark :

ok that sounds great. can you see the new router as an open connection if you view available connections from a laptop or smart phone etc

Customer:

So we have to go this way

Customer:

Ok here is my concern

RobMark :

yes

Customer:

For all of my smartrphones and laptops my wifi name is WLAN-AP

Customer:

and my username is

Customer:

the WPA shared key

RobMark :

your best bet is to not try to duplicate that on the new router. Just set up the new one and connect to it again

Customer:

1o digits long or so

Customer:

so all my devices use this and that password

RobMark :

they all have easy options to connect to more than one device. that way you can hook into wifi if you are sitting at starbucks and still hook up when you go back home

Customer:

Although b4 I had a 27 digit minimum password XXXXX u know what I mean

Customer:

Is this safe using the WPA shared key as a password

RobMark :

even if you duplicated the router name and passkey it might not automatically connect because they translate it to a mac address which will not be the same. so it may actually give you more problems to do it that way than to just make it a new connection with a new name and just add that to the list of access points it is set to connect to. it will store a different passkey for each router and save them all so its not a problem

Customer:

everything is working

Customer:

I just dont know how safe it is to use the router supplied WPA shared key as my password, as I had a 27 digit one b4

Customer:

27 about is what it mjade me do 2 yearsa ago

RobMark :

do you mean that you kept the router passkey rather than create a new one ? or are you using the passkey for something else

Customer:

my WPA Shared Key on my router 192.168.0.254 shows some letters and numbers and that makes my wifi work likie my old 27b digit password XXXXX

RobMark :

if you are using wpa and you have a 10 digit passkey thats fine. its really overkill when they use the super long ones. Already the wpa would be considered national security level encryption and arrest anybody that gave it out 5 years ago. so technically a shorter passkey might be broken more easily than a longer one. But you are talking about the mossad trying to hack you for submarine plans not your next door neighbor that wants to watch bootleg films

Customer:

it is 12 digits

RobMark :

that is way more than enough for home use

Customer:

why did I have a 27 letter password XXXXX

Customer:

it made medo that 2 years ago I remember

RobMark :

i would have to look it up but im guessing brute force would take like 10 years to crack the 12 digits

Customer:

I can look it up too and let u know just fyi why it made memmake such a long password

RobMark :

sometimes isp's get paranoid. and its an easy thing for them to say "oh you have the most secure thing possible" and its not them with the pain in the butt trying to put it in every time

Customer:

oh god, everytimne a friend came over they had to use this 27 character pass

RobMark :

also if it was an older encryption type like wep the passkey was more involved in the security level and you needed more letters to get the higher level of encryption

RobMark :

but even the wep with 32 bit rather than 64 bit encryption was still way more than your average house needs. One math genious finds a way to crack it and suddenly everybody says its not secure. But honestly you have a much better chance of being hacked by somebody that knows your dogs name and guesses it than of some cyber crazy brute force hacking any modern encryption

Customer:

ok so I am in my modem (ADSL Firewall Router) andthat is where the 12 characters are. Is this safe or do we changethem

RobMark :

and the wpa is way more secure than the wep was. honestly there are countries out there that dont have better encryption for their armed forces and embassy communication

Customer:

but it really made me make it 27 characters

RobMark :

its just fine with 12 keys

Customer:

back in the day

RobMark :

I think that the isp just didnt want people using 3 digit keys or their dogs name because that you can crack or guess pretty easy. so they just make a corporate decision that people have to use a certain number of digits and it has to be numbers and caps in it. and then they say what number do we use ? and why say 10 or 8 when you can say 27 and really be sure.

Customer:

ok'

RobMark :

or they have lawyers telling them if somebody gets hacked no matter how it happens and we go to court the other lawyer is going to say "but you told them to use 12 and really 27 is more secure so why were you lax" and the trade off is to make it easier for the customer not for them so thats the decision. but to repeat. 12 digits on wpa is way way way more than enough for average home use. You probably log into your bank with a password XXXXX to 16 characters.

Customer:

so u log into my modem

RobMark :

all you are really protecting here is stopping somebody from using your 50 buck a month internet for free

Customer:

and u see this WPA Shared Key that makes it all work

Customer:

Can we first hide this, and does it matter if I make it my own (of course for convit would

RobMark :

well they cant get into your modem that easily. You can set it so that it cant be logged into remotely at all. and they would have to know your external ip address.

Customer:

Greek to me

RobMark :

hide it from what ? where is it showing ? if you made the router name (ssid ) the passkey that would be bad

RobMark :

when you look for the router on your list of available routers does it show the passkey ?

Customer:

this is why I hate that u cant TV in but they have their rules so I will try to explain and againI will tip so stop stressing, u are fine

RobMark :

i trust you. and your from ny even if your a yankee fan. i am here to make you happy

Customer:

I need u for 100 other things and JA knows I tip

Customer:

Seriously noconcern, I have rated u I think2 times but I havent tipped yet coorect?

RobMark :

thats great. umm i would have to check my reports i didnt see it last time i looked but i can check

RobMark :

i got one rated

RobMark :

no tips

Customer:

Us Yankees hate u but unless aMets fan makesthis comp useable then I am SOL :)

Customer:

No pls check I rated u more than once

RobMark :

lol once we are out of ny we can be helpful to each other. in ny we would have to at least argue over the teams. though i think the last few years i just wear a bag on my head. But i had season tickets to the mets in 88 and went to a world series game in 86

RobMark :

i just checked and this is the only one that shows up in the reports as rated http://www.justanswer.com/computer-networking/7qaar-hello-wi-fi-running-off-g-modem.html they were all under the same user name correct

Customer:

lol, but really I am trying to split up our questions like the admins have told me so you get credit for them all..

RobMark :

with the way admin was jumping in the questions they may have closed a few before you could rate them or marked them duplicate or something

RobMark :

it should stil show them as open when you log into JA or there should be reminder emails to you

Customer:

So after this crap u can get your MINN head out your as.

RobMark :

lol i may become a twins fan

RobMark :

i see they locked at least one of the questions

Customer:

so like I said I willl tip u 100 tonight, I keep my promises

RobMark :

that would be great. thank you.

Customer:

You deserve it

RobMark :

i know you can trust new yorkers. even the yankee fans. :P

Customer:

Tell JA that...

RobMark :

lol i would if i could. believe me. hey they are probably watching the chat at this point anyways so ...

Customer:

My address for wifi is now WLAN-AP

Customer:

it use to be roryds

Customer:

And

RobMark :

thats fine

RobMark :

what are you using the passkey for besides the passkey ?

Customer:

I had a password XXXXX was: desperateandsopranosarethebest1977!

Customer:

Now all works with that password XXXXX the router/modem gives me but of course I want to change it..

Customer:

sorry no comprende

RobMark :

lol i would say just leave it as it is when its working. 12 digits is fine. and i am a big believer in if it aint broke dont fix it

Customer:

Everything is working now bgut with that modem password

RobMark :

well you were the one that i thought said you were using the passkey as the id or something and i wasnt quite sure what you meant. did you just mean that you are using the default passkey that came with the router

RobMark :

thats fine the company generates a random key for every router so its not like its a standard thing anybody that has the modem will know

Customer:

no it made me set up a 27 character one

Customer:

no joke

Customer:

I can find the old users manual

RobMark :

you mean on the old router. where did you get the passkey for the new one ? and if the old one was using wep rather than wpa it does need a longer passkey they have to be a specific size to get 64 bit encryption under wep

Customer:

Rob, hear me out

Customer:

My new GF is yelling at me

RobMark :

yes

Customer:

I followed there instruction manuals thats all

Customer:

I did no funny stuff ever

RobMark :

no thats fine. you were probably using WEP as the encryption type. if you are using 64 bit WEP it REQUIRES you to have a 27 digit hex key

RobMark :

you probably could only use numbers and the letters a to f

Customer:

It works but the password XXXXX XXXXX one the modem gave me

Customer:

Is that safe

RobMark :

but the wpa that you are using now works in a totally different way and you get a stronger one and it does not require that large of a passkey because it doesnt work in hex

Customer:

but i want my own password XXXXX get wifi not something the modem gaveme

RobMark :

the security you have with wpa and a 12 digit key is stronger than the wep with a 27 digit one. you are fine and if it is the one that the modem defaulted to that makes no difference because it was randomly generated and nobody would know it

RobMark :

thats up to you if you want to change it to something that you know. But it wont be any safer than the one the router gave you. Just easier to remember for you

Customer:

I dont know it

RobMark :

then how did you get it to hook up ?

Customer:

can we chanjge it please and that I guess will end this

Customer:

andthen on to my 100 other questions next week

Customer:

I losthow to getinto thisrouter

Customer:

The telewelll

RobMark :

hold on i have to find it

RobMark :

did you get in by using the button on the router that automatically lets things log in for 2 minutes ?

Customer:

no

Customer:

I canscroll up n find it

RobMark :

its not in this chat. can you give me the model number again ?

Customer:

Ifthey didnt delete the old conversation

Customer:

Ya I look back andJA locked our past chats??

RobMark :

it looks that way. this is getting ridiculous. they are supposed to be supplying a forum where i can help you and we both get paid and they are making it harder to work

Customer:

It is a TW-EA510v3(c)

Customer:

yes

RobMark :

http://192.168.0.254/

RobMark :

and admin admin for the id password

Customer:

ok

Customer:

imin

Customer:

im in

RobMark :

ok now you need to find the wireless security section and the manual is not very clear where that is

RobMark :

i would check under quickstart and then LAN

Customer:

qs hasWAN or ADSL.....

Customer:

no LAN

Customer:

Would this honestly be faster if u could TV in

Customer:

or remote in

Customer:

or whatever

RobMark :

yes it would but i cant

Customer:

I am getting tired of this

Customer:

Again I must go to bed...

Customer:

I will of course like I said tip u when this is done...

RobMark :

ok last time i think we went through the whole wan setup and then it said do you want to go to wireless section so maybe try that but dont change anything

Customer:

But I cant have kids and a family and be here for hours

RobMark :

or in the quickstart there is a safe to flash which you can use to save the config so you can always get it back

RobMark :

what annoys me the most is that they have now locked the chat that had all of the answers that we found last time

Customer:

ok it says

RobMark :

?

Customer:

I am trying

Customer:

my essis is my username

Customer:

essid

RobMark :

your user name for what ?

RobMark :

the essid is the name of the router when you are looking for it in the list of available routers you can change that to anything you want it to be

Customer:

and my password XXXXX XXXXX wireless

Customer:

it use to be roryds now it is WLAN-AP

RobMark :

the only thing that it changes is what the router is called in that list when anybody looks at the broadcasting. You can change it to anything that you are comfortable with.

Customer:

and my password XXXXX use to be 27 characters is now

RobMark :

I named one of mine "fbi security van" just for fun

RobMark :

dont tell me what it is but if it is 12 digits that is fine you can make it anything that you want it to be

Customer:

I cant find it

Customer:

i told u b4 lol

RobMark :

aarggg that is not a standard router and the manual doesnt say where it is.

RobMark :

if you hit quick start and configurartion there should be a lan section under it

Customer:

ok i got it and lets not let JA lose this

Customer:

here it is

Customer:

001EAB038217

RobMark :

:)

Customer:

is tyhat safe

RobMark :

ok you should be able to change that if you want to.

Customer:

wpa2 is there now

RobMark :

i just looked it up and you can use anywhere from 8 to 64 digits for wpa encryption and the longer the better. but i would say thats fine. Its nothing anybody is going to guess and that is what you are worried about rather than somebody getting through the actual encryption to read your signals. the cia is worried about that. you are just worried about your neighbor using your wifi for free. and for that they have to guess that passkey

Customer:

shouldnt the PSK one be the one

RobMark :

no the wpa/2 is fine

Customer:

again wouldnt this be easier iuf u were remoting in

Customer:

sorry

Customer:

wpa2 ok

RobMark :

if you want to use the psk i think that might be a little newer but it doesnt matter. you are talking about the difference between squashing a fly with a tank or an suv

Customer:

it still shows the WPA shared key which works as the PW

RobMark :

the password XXXXX what ? to get into the router from a device ?

RobMark :

the shared key is the password.

Customer:

I changed it and it is still the old leters and numbers

Customer:

I give up

RobMark :

technically it is a passkey rather than a password XXXXX rather than just getting intot he router it also serves to encrypt everything that is sent between the router and the device. But as far as anything that you are doing all you see is that it is the password

RobMark :

what do you mean you changed it but it is stil the same ?

RobMark :

if you changed it in the router you have to save it and the router will have to reboot before the new one will take effect

Customer:

under WPA shared key

Customer:

I changeit to ilovegraham and then hit save config

Customer:

but it wont

Customer:

so should i reboot

RobMark :

what do you mean it wont ? did it change the letters back to what they were or do the new ones just not work to get into the router

RobMark :

you have to hit the right button. after you hit save configuration it should reboot the router on its own

Customer:

it shows the old letters

Customer:

Rob,I will talk to admin,this is crazy...

Customer:

I will tip u no matter what so dont worry

RobMark :

ok i dont know here. on my view of the manual you should be able to just change them and hit save.

Customer:

ButI want JAs help too

Customer:

It wont

RobMark :

did you change it to wpa/psk ?

RobMark :

put it on wpa or wpa/2

Customer:

I changed it to ask an admin why u cant get on

RobMark :

the psk may not allow you to change it because it uses a new method where it generates a one time key and you have to set the device to look for it while you hit the button. its easier if it works and you dont really have to know what the key is

RobMark :

try just making it wpa/2 and see if you can change it

Customer:

I know udidnt ask to be on but this is drivingme nuts

RobMark :

i know and i would dearly love to be able to just log in and fix it for you but i dont want to lose my position here.

Customer:

i know

RobMark :

and i have been told i cant even discuss it.

Customer:

i know tyhat too

RobMark :

try setting it to wpa or wpa / 2

RobMark :

and then change the passkey and see if it stays

RobMark :

believe me either of those is way more protection than you need

Customer:

wpa2 always

RobMark :

what are your other choices ?

RobMark :

honestly at this point if it was mine. I would just leave it as it is and write that key down and /or glue it to the bottom of the router

Customer:

how can I changethat shared key?? it cant be safe? I wantto make it my own

Customer:

ok and believe me I will dothis but cant anyone get into my router andfind this info out

RobMark :

you should just be able to change it. but i think its perfectly safe as it is

Customer:

I promise I will tip u 100 by tomm but I could tip uso much more with remote access.

Customer:

Let me addressthis with JA

Customer:

I am so tired and need u on here....

RobMark :

i am stuck i am not allowed to do it. Believe me i wish i could and i have been having this issue with them for well over a year. But its not worth my job here to push it anymore than i have.

Customer:

How many hours have we been at this bs

Customer:

But I will as a customer and all my friends

RobMark :

many. at lest 3 yesterday and 2 today. i wish i cuold get in there. it would only be a few minutes for me to play eith it

Customer:

exactly tyhis is pathetic

RobMark :

unless it is somehow set to only use that key for some reason.

RobMark :

what are your choices in the drop down above the passkey

Customer:

I will tip u either way,Mets fan dont worry but I want to argue this pointfirst.

Customer:

Ok

RobMark :

i mean you can go to wpa1 or you can even go to wep and use your original passke of 27 characters

Customer:

5am too tired to even read

RobMark :

i know you do. and believe me i want to make you happy and i wish that i could do it. this costs me money as well. But i just cant push it with them.

Customer:

Just pissed at JA now

Customer:

I will talk to admin and at least tip u 100 on top of anexcellent rating

RobMark :

well all i can say is that passkey will be totally secure. Its not like anybody can find it or it is the same for every router of that model. Its randomly generated for each individual router.

Customer:

Im too tired buddy

RobMark :

try a different security type if it wont change

RobMark :

ok lets call it for the day and we can try to finish it off tomorrow.

Customer:

U will getyour money either way

RobMark :

i thank you for that.

Customer:

I just cantcont now

Customer:

the kiddies will be up in2 hours

RobMark :

thats fine. its bedtime for my kids here anyway and i need to sort them out

Customer:

again I am useless to them

Customer:

oh wait ru there

RobMark :

I am really sorry. i wish that it would just work. but you do have my assurance that it is secure as it is. and maybe just trying another encryption type might make it work

RobMark :

i am still here

RobMark :

you may just have missed a save button somewhere or something

Customer:

You said that you were locked out of those otyher chats.....

RobMark :

yes i sent an email maybe they opened them up again

Customer:

Theyresponded that all u had to do was to tell an expert mod and they would have opened it

RobMark :

i did lol but some seem to have totally disapeered off my list.

RobMark :

this one is locked and not even showing up on my list anymore and that was the key one

Customer:

I will get to thebottom of this

Customer:

Thank u for tonight

RobMark :

you are welcome. I am very sorry from myself and i am sure from most of the site for the problems we are having.

Customer:

U will get your money but u can tell them the amount depends on if they can get even chat working right

Customer:

Goodnight

Customer:

at least 100 Ipromise,

RobMark :

lets try it again tomorrow sometimes when you get tired you miss things. it may be you go in tomorrow and you see a differen save button or something and it just pops right in and works in 30 seconds. But i do assure you that the key that you have is very secure and thats the new way to do it. The router companies are going towards a random generated key and using push buttons to switch it to the device to save it so the consumer doesnt even have to know the key anymore.

Customer:

200 ifthey can get there shgit together

RobMark :

anyway go get some sleep and get your kids off and i will go toss out the friends with my kids and get them to bed lol

RobMark :

that would be great. whatever you think is right.

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
I am back if you want to finish this up today ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rob, we had 2 completely different questionbs so I rated youy twice excellent. I will open up new threads each time so this doesnt confuse anyone. I tipped u 100 as I still am not really happy how my modem password selection was made. I should make my own password and thats it. Period... I dont care if they randomly select these paswwords, etc, I want my own. And I loved that it has been 27 characters for years....

I apologize for taking a bit. I had to go to Stockholm for 2 days so sorry foir my delay... Hopefulllly we can cont. later.

My best, Graham