Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.

RA-112

Customer Question

Need help designing a crystal report pulling from Peachtree's database.  I would like to produce an annual sales analysis from 2008 to present showing: account name, quantity purchased (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, Yearly) and dollar amount (by Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, Yearly).

If I could use excel and pull the relevant tables from Peachtree, that would be even better.

Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'll be happy to help with this - can you advise what version of Peachtree is being used and also what version of Excel you have available?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sage 50 Accounting 2013 (Peachtree) and MS Excel 2007

Thank you - I will review this but one quick question, when you go to the standard reports in Sage 50 Accounting 2013 (for example Reports-->Profit & Loss-->Profit & Loss) do you get the Export to Excel icon automatically appear there?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't find a profit & loss report. Is this suppose to be under accounts receivable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've attached a screen shot of the standard reports. I like the customer sales by month report (if i could modify it to include YOY since 2008)Screenshot of Peachtree reports

Apologies, for some reason I didn't receive a notification about your later reples.

So the Customer Sales by Month report that is there should be a starting point - it might be easiest to arrange a remote session to look at this if that would work for you?

I'm available between 9AM and 10AM or anytime from 3PM to 9PM EST tomorrow?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How about 3pm EST?

I really would prefer if we can create an ODBC link of the data to excel. The standard reports, like the ones I've shown, don't have many options in the column selections.

I've tried to use the crystal report designer but that was like drinking from a firehose. ha ha

Thanks - let's go for 3PM EST tomorrow, I will send the link details through shortly beforehand.

Cheers

Steve
Here is the link

https://secure.join.me/389-182-255

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My apologies. I had an unexpected supplier drop by.

No problem - just having a couple of issues with the software so will send a new link in next few minutes.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

excellent

Apologies - new link is here

https://secure.join.me/855-025-495

Cheers

Steve
I am so sorry but we keep having problems using the presenter swap. Do you have Google Chrome installed at all as we could use the Remote Desktop option there to connect?

If not, I can put some steps together hopefully.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm using Google Chrome
Ok, if you go here

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-remote-desktop/gbchcmhmhahfdphkhkmpfmihenigjmpp?hl=en

That will add the Remote Desktop app - when it is run you should get an access code, if you let me know that I will be able to connect.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let's do remote desktop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok...downloading now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
692307358780
Thanks - connected now, appear to be missing chat but ok to take control?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where can i call you?
Unfortunately we're not allowed to offer phone support - for some reason control even via Chrome is very intermittent.

I'll put some details together and send them through.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the new code: 714237438582

The network has been acting slow today which may be causing the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Google dropped....here is a new access code:

152540629004
Am running into issues establishing the connection - checking there is no problem on my side.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Google dropped again....let me know when you want me to send the access code
Will do - testing at moment and still having some problems but will let you know

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've gotta dash from the office in about an hour. Any luck on your end?
No luck with a consistent - will keep trying to work out where the issue is and let you know.

Apologies!

Cheers

Steve
Apologies but looks like will need to retry this tomorrow - are you free anytime from 3PM EST?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would 3:30 est work?
Yes - 3.30PM EST is good for me - if you let me know the Google code for then we can connect.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the code: 590962610311
I'm getting an invalid code with that one for some reason?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Try this one.....086030527801
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can take over
Control a little slow but getting there.

Looks like the way the Crystal Report has been created would require it to be amended quite substantially - how is this report as a starting point?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the report I've been working with but really need it to show per quarter. Then, i could select a time period and run. We need the ability to see yearly quantity and amounts so we can use graphs to show trends.
Ok - I think I can amend that one to do that, am going to work on it here so you can get on.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
excellent
No problem - will work on it, test and let you know

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the very near future, I would like to build Crystal Reports or even better would be using MS Excel with a link to the database. What tables and fields are you choosing for this report? Is this a cross-tab report? What's the best way to learn the Peachtree database's schema?
We have all this data that has gone untapped for years because we didn't know how to extract. Peachtree offers no support. Any tips are much appreciated.

Brian
I'm trying to amend the existing tables and fields but provide the YOY functionality, Peachtree doesn't offer the best support on the database schema but will see what I can find there as well.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there an easier way using a datalink to excel?
Still working on the report - am offline most of weekend.

You could set up ODBC with Excel which should allow you to access the database directly from Excel. This can be setup as below:

Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Data Sources (ODBC)

Choose Add

Select Pervasive ODBC Engine Interface

Choose Finish

Enter a Data Source Name and choose your Peachtree Company database

Click OK

Then you can start Microsoft Excel and connect to the database - once Excel is running:

Choose Data-->Import External Data-->Import Data

Choose New Source

Select ODBC DSN, then click Next

Choose the Database and if prompted for credentials enter a Peachtree username/password.

You should then be able to choose the table etc...

Let me know

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which table and fields are you selecting for the Crystal Report? I will try and pull them into excel via the link. I believe they are: customer, company, journal.header, journal.row...are there others?
Thanks for working on this. It will be very important as I'm in the middle of writing a marketing campaign and need the historical data.
Yes - those are the tables/fields I'm trying to use with Crystal

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you writing formulas to sum up those fields somehow? If so, can you explain once you get it working? I'm pretty tech savy so lay it on me.
Yes, once working will provide a full explanation - did you have any luck with the ODBC connection?

cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Couldn't get ODBC to connect today. Excel 2007 is a bit different....you have to pick the data tab then choose "From Other Services"....then "From Microsoft Query"...then select your DSN created previously with the ODBC 32 setup. When i have succeeded in the past, i can actually see the tables...but soon after the program crashes.

Once i get this figured out and incorporated into MS query...the actual field selection and formulas will be the biggest challenge.

How are you coming along with the modified crystal report?
Thanks - interesting about the crashes, is that Excel which crashes just to confirm?

I'm thinking that ODBC is probably the way to go as modifying the reports is proving a lot more difficult than expected.

Will see if ODBC also crashes here as well.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It crashes the Peachtree server. Excel is fine.

I'm going to play around with it again today. I've set up my ODBC DSN to Peachtree, but having trouble logging in.

If you can show me how to produce that report in Excel (which tables, fields, formulas)...that would be fantastic. For now, i just got to keep Peachtree from crashing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish i could upload this error i'm getting. Basically, when i try and set up an ODBC DSN...it asks for my user and pw. My security settings were changed to accommodate this. However, it keeps telling me "invalid user id specified".

I wish there was a simpler way?! Peachtree is an aweful dbase.
Thanks - what happens if you enter the following details?

Username: Crystal

Leave the password XXXXX blank.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gives the same error
Ok, can you follow this process and see if that corrects the issue at all?

1. Open Peachtree and the Company that will be running the custom Crystal Report. Using the Peachtree Menu Bar, click on Maintain, then Users, and then Setup Security.

2. Click on the Crystal Reports / Data Access tab.
On the left side of the screen, in the Access From Inside Peachtree box, choose either ‘Only one user’ or ‘Anyone’ (we recommend the setting ‘Anyone’).
On the right side of the screen, in the Access From Outside Peachtree box, choose ‘With the following login information:’ and then click on the Change button to set a password.
Note: The password XXXXX be a minimum of 7 characters, or a maximum of 8 characters, and must contain both letters and numbers. We recommend that you set this password XXXXX Crystal1. Click Close when done

This is the recommended setup directly from Peachtree.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did that. I have my own username and password XXXXX access data. It's almost like the system forgot or reset itself. I will have IT double check the security settings again.
Thanks - let me know once the security settings have been verified.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok...it will be tomorrow. i'm at the house with a sick kid.
No problem - whenever is convenient, will try a few more things in meantime.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The security settings did reset to "no one". Updated those but now getting another error when adding the link within Excel. "The SQL Manager may be inactive or using a different transport protocol from the client". This message popped up once I was going through the steps to import just one table. Very frustrating.
Ok, this may need the Peachtree/SQL server checking - do you know what protocols are enabled?

If at all possible I would try the connection with only TCP/IP enabled in SQL Manager.

cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do i obtain the TCP/IP for the server. Can i just open a command prompt on that machine and type ipconfig?
Yes, that will give you the IP address for the server if you do it on that machine.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm getting the error still but will figure this out. I'm persistent.
Understood - would you be able to get me a screenshot of the protocols configured in SQL Manager? This might need to be provided by IT I guess...

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can you upload a screen shot through this portal?
Easiest way is to e-mail it XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX for my attention and include a link to this thread.

cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know how i can access SQL Manager from my laptop?
Depending on which version of SQL is involved you would need the Management Studio - it can be downloaded from Microsoft here.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7593

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this need to be downloaded on the server?
No, you can run that on any machine that has connectivity to the server to check how it is setup etc.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok....I am installing the .NET framework, Windows Installer and SQL Server downloads
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steve....that's a lot of tools and downloads and settings I'm not familiar with. Do i need all of these? Do i have to know anything about the server? If i download and install these .NET, Installer, Powershell, SQL Server, etc...will I crash something?
No, you shouldn't be able to crash anything - .NET is useful to have for other installations as and when required but Powershell isn't actually needed for SQL Management Studio.

Windows Installer should already be part of Windows assuming it installs updates etc automatically.

The only thing you would need for the server is name/IP address and username/password.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is SQL Management Studio a freeware?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm running Windows 8...the SQL Management Studio is giving me a compatibility issue when installing.
It's a free Microsoft utility - as it's Windows 8 the SQL Server 2012 Management Studio shold work without any compatibility issues.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35579

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok...i've installed SQL Management Studio. What do you need me to send you?
Once you've connected, you should be able to view a screen similar to this one:

If you can send me that which shows the installed protocols and whether they are enabled or disabled that would be great.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't have an icon for the program
Isn't it under the Start screen as an icon at all?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. No apps. Couldn't find using search. The SQL 2008 won't install.

Also, I sent you an email with screen shots of previous error plus a web page listing of all SQL download options.
Thanks - on that error screenshot, can you let me know what options are available under the Transport Hint section?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do i find the "Transport Hint" section?
It's on the Pervasive ODBC Client DSN Setup screen.

https://www.box.com/s/oqqeyzqbjyw04o6iifpi

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok...i'll try on Monday when I can connect to database. Wish there was a way to connect from home.

I don't know which of the SQL Management Studio options to choose for Windows 8. Which one do you recommend? See below

LocalDB (SqlLocalDB)
LocalDB is a lightweight version of Express that has all its programmability features, yet runs in user mode and has a fast, zero-configuration installation and short list of pre-requisites. Use this if you need a simple way to create and work with databases from code. It can be bundled with Application and Database Development tools like Visual Studio and or embedded with an application that needs local databases.

Express (SQLEXPR)
Express edition includes the SQL Server database engine only. Best suited to accept remote connections or administer remotely.

Express with Tools (SQLEXPRWT)
This package contains everything needed to install and configure SQL Server as a database server including the full version of SQL Server 2012 Management Studio with SP1. Choose either LocalDB or Express depending on your needs above.

SQL Server Management Studio Express (SQLManagementStudio)
This does not contain the database, but only the tools to manage SQL Server instances, including LocalDB, SQL Express, SQL Azure, full version of SQL Server 2012 Management Studio with SP1, etc. Use this if you already have the database and only need the management tools.
Express with Advanced Services (SQLEXPRADV)
This package contains all the components of SQL Server Express including the full version of SQL Server 2012 Management Studio with SP1. This is a larger download than “with Tools,” as it also includes both Full Text Search and Reporting Services.
It should be this one

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe OR
SQLManagementStudio_x86_ENU.exe
That will depend on whether you have a 32 bit or 64 bit installation of Windows.

If you go to Control Panel-->System it should say there.

If 32 bit use the x86 file, and if 64 bit use the x64 file.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the Transport Hint options:
- Try TCPIP first then SPX
- Try SPX first then TCPIP
- Try TCPIP only
- Try SPX only
Ok, can it be set to Try TCPIP only?

I'm still expecting it to fail but just wondering if that changes the error at all.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should i use Engine or Client for the DSN?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It turns out the IT guy turned off my access to the reports since my queries kept crashing the peachtree server and booting accounting people out. oops
Ah ok - so will they not turn on the access again?

cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm working on it. Meanwhile, i'm trying to customize some of these existing crystal reports.
Ok - will also revisit that, but ODBC looked like being the best way to access the data via Excel.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will work on getting the security settings changed back in Peachtree
Ok, will see if I can get anything customized at all just in case.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's a response I received on designing a Crystal Report within Sage 50:

"How to create a comparison report showing customer quantity per"
You will want to select and link the JrnlHdr, the JrnlRow, LineItem and Customer tables.

Link the jrnlRow - Item Record to Item Record in the LineItem Table
Link the JrnlHdr - JrnlRow using Post Order
Link the JrnlRow - Customer Record to Customer Record in the Customer table

Create formulas using Crystal Date Ranges ie. This Quarter and Last Year, this Quarter, etc.
Thanks - have been trying similar but will try that as well.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The plan is for IT to switch my security settings back in the morning. Not sure why it locks everyone out when linking to excel. When it does, we always have to reboot the server.
Ok - SQL databases should have the capability to run reports while still being accessed by others, let's see what happens there....

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My security settings have been changed and i'm connected!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And, i just crashed the Peachtree server. This time, i used the ip address for establishing the ODBC DSN. Test was successful. Opened excel. Clicked on data > From other sources > From Microsoft query. I selected my database that i had set up earlier using ODBC 32. When it tries to connect to the database...I get an error message that there's no longer a connection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the help message from Peachtree:

Sage 50 is unable to connect to its database, Pervasive, on computer . Make sure the computer is logged in or that the database service is running. Also make sure the firewall is set to allow Sage 50 and Pervasive to run. Click Help for more information. Click Retry to attempt to connect again.
The issue

For some reason, Sage 50 cannot connect to its database engine, Pervasive. This could be due to a break in the connection, the server hanging (on a network) or an incorrect mapping address to the datapath, but most likely, it is due to the computer's firewall being set incorrectly for Sage 50. In order for Sage 50’s database, Pervasive, to run correctly, you must allow certain programs to run on your machine. These include PEACHW.EXE, W3DBSMGR.EXE, W3LGO103.EXE, pHttpXfr14.exe, OUDOWNLD14.EXE, AIS2.SERVER.CONSOLE.EXE, and possibly others. If these programs are blocked by firewall software, Sage 50 will not operate correctly.
Thanks - do we know if the firewall settings have all been amended as they described?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this on the user end or the server end?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just added these files to my windows defender "excluded file types" on my pc.

PEACHW.EXE
W3DBSMGR.EXE
W3LGO103.EXE
PEACHUPD.EXE
PEACHTREEPREFETCHER.EXE
AIS2.SERVER.CONSOLE.EXE
SmartPostingService2014.exe
I would think they'd need to be allowed on the server side specifically

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the server is just a desktop pc running windows 8. I would assume the firewall is windows defender. do you think that is what is severing the link?
There should be a specific Windows Firewall in Windows 8 in addition to Windows Defender - that could be blocking those files when requested as well.

From the right-hand menu on the Windows 8 Desktop you should be able to choose Settings-->Control Panel and then Windows Firewall seperately from Windows Defender.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appears the Defender and Firewall are both functioning good without any blocking on both user and server side.
Thanks - is there any option of turning off the firewall on the server and retesting just to see if we can conclusively rule that out?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure. i will give it a thorough try on Wednesday.
Thanks - just want to be able to rule that out entirely as being the cause of any issues

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the settings on the server. So far, no crash.

I've been working with Crystal Reports this morning. The challenge is selecting the correct fields from tables: customer, jrnlhdr, jrnlrow and lineitem. I need report to show: customer name, amount and quantity. Then, at run-time, i can change the parameters for date range; however, that might be a formula...not sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I try to link via excel and ODBC...it still crashes.

I don't know if this is worth anything...but "integration services" is not running on the server. I don't know how to make it run. It doesn't show up in the "services" area either.

I can run Crystal Reports without crashing the server but can't create a link to excel.
Thanks - I can't understand why the ODBC link is crashing. I will have to open this to other experts for their assistance.

Cheers

Steve
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away with your Financial Software issue, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Lindie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's disappointing. Yes, please leave my question open. I really need help with Crystal Reports.
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Lindie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't heard from anyone
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find another professional to assist you. Would you like me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for me to close your question at this time?

Thank you for your patience,
Lindie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I owe a fee if no solution?
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi

If you would like we can close your question and we have two options. We can either return your good faith deposit to the original funding source or we can leave your deposit on your account here for future questions. Please let me know how you wish to proceed.

Lindie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please leave deposit for future questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is my good faith deposit?