Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

Im trying to move Quicken and backup from an old computer

I'm trying to move Quicken and backup from an old computer to a new one. I don't have the original disk or download information and key or if I do it is a box not yet unpacked from our move.

what version of the software is it ?

You cant install it the way you are trying to do. If you moved it from a 64 bit computer there is also a section of it in the normal program files folder You can find where the exe file is by right clicking on the icon that you use to start it and selecting properties that will show its location

Really you should install it again

If you purchased from Intuit directly you can download again for 3 years.

For quickbooks go to https://www.intuit.com/login/

click on cart orders downloads

sign in with your intuit id and password. ( usually your email address is the id )

click on downloads and unlocks

That should give you a list of any intuit product that you purchased online within the last 3 years with a download button.

If you dont have enough information to download it again ( usually the id is your email address and you can hit the lost password XXXXX if you need to )

then the easiest thing to do is just purchase the new 2013 version it will read and convert the data file ( not a backup file ) that ends with .qdf from anything after 2004

You can purchase the deluxe version here for a nice discount

www.quicken.com/go/upgrade

* You can not use the simple start version as it will not read old data at all.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks I don't have time right now to do all that but will try tomorrow .you were very thorough. Thanks