DrQuickBooksnQuicken, Quickbooks Pro Certified
Experience:  Advanced Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor including Point of Sale & Enterprise (PC or Mac)

how can I transfer transaction history from another system

how can I transfer transaction history from another system into QB ??
What financial software are you using?
Which operating systems are you using in each.
Are you current with all of your releases and patches?
Or are you trying to export those transactions as an Excel file and importing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am running QB Pro 2010 and am current with all releases. I have downloaded transaction histories into Excel and am trying to import from Excel.

Unfortunately, you can not import transactions in Excel into QuickBooks within the program.

You would have to use a third party program that costs about $200 see (this is the one I recommend to my customers as it is easiest to use) or about $100 for another that isn't as highly rated

You can import customers, vendors, items, chart of accounts, other names, and other lists (see File>Utilities>Export or Import>IIF Files within the QuickBooks program.

What financial software were you using before? It is possible that you might be able to convert that file into QuickBooks. I am a bit puzzled why you exported your transactions. Why did you do that?

Also, when I ask questions, I expect an answer even if it is "I don't know". The more I know, the better I can help you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The process was being maintained on a property management system called Yardi by some folks that are not legally connected to our business - they were basically providing bookkeeping services as best they could on the Yardi system - I am not at all familiar with that system, but can inquire as to certain extract capabilies, if you think it may be possible. All transactions are still on the Yardi system.

I decided to try the Excel method since I noted the import/export capability in QB.

I've worked with PropertyWare which is also a property management system.

I would ask them about the ability to export to QuickBooks. It is possible that you could create a new company file and export your Yardi transactions to that file. I looked at their website but didn't see anything mentioned.

I think choosing Excel was a good choice if you plan on buying one of the third party software to try to import those transactions. Most allow you to try them out first. I would do that. But you may find that you can't import them.

What do you want to do now?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just started at this company and have been able to establish that they have solid records and transactions on QB from 2002 through 9/10. Since 9/10, the company transactions have been posted to Yardi.

My preference is to find a mehod to move the transactions from Yardi to QB and will probably utililize your suggestion on the third party software from Bay States.

Well, let me know what finally happens. I am curious as well. At this point, you need to get that third party software and try it out. Personally, they probably should have stayed with QuickBooks. I have a number of property management firms who use it for their front and back office. But it isn't for everyone.
How did the trial version of Bay State or Big Red work out for you? It is possible that you may have to manually enter your 2010 onward transactions if you want all your records in one place.