Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.

Quicken 2012 Fifth Third bank Error message OL-393-A

Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.

Are you using direct connect or web connect ?

If you are downloading the file and then importing you want to download a qfx file rather than a qif. Those are outdated.

When you set up the account make sure that you select the banks name from the drop down list rather than typing it in completely.

That bank is a new or changed addition to quickens aproved banks.

Make sure that you do the quicken program update from tools / one step update that will make sure that you have the latest information for how quicken connects to it.

It does support direct connect which is a lot easier than downloading and importing the file

These instructions will re sync the bank for direct connect

first go to the bank/financial institution's website
make sure that you can sign in and access the correct account using the id and password XXXXX you have

then open quicken

go to tools / account list

edit account details

under online services tab

click remove from one step update

close the box close quicken reboot the computer

open quicken

go to tools / account list

edit account details

under online services tab

click set up one step update / web access

go through all of the prompts to enter they type of account the name of the bank etc

put in the user id and password XXXXX

that redoes the entire quicken connection which seems to work a lot better then just playing with the password

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

While you were getting the answer for me I did exactly what you suggested earlier. The only thing I did not do is shut down the computer which I did after reading your suggestion and as of now I am not getting the error message OL-393-A.

There is another situation. On the bottom of the register it will give you the Ending Balance and ON LINE Balance. In this case with Fifth Third it does not give show the On Line Banlance.

Do you know why?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.

That has to do with whether you are hooking up through direct connect or not.

If quicken connects directly to the bank it will pull up the online balance which can be different than your balance due to uncleared transactions as well as any missing or wrong transactions.

If it does not connect directly it does not get that piece of information.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just did the ONE STEP UPDATE and still receive the OL-393-A error message.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.

Did you change anything in between when it worked and when it didnt work. If not than it might be the bank website having a problem

You can also do the direct update from the register. Under account actions it will have an update now selection

for some reason they access the bank a little differently and i have found that some days one will work and the other wont. And its no more likely to be one way that works than the other you just have to try them both.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It looks like nothing helps and I will have to figure out on my own. The suggestion on the type of file is a good one and I plan to try it out.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.

What version of quicken are you using ? quicken no longer supports anything prior to 2009 and as I said that is listed as a new bank. They may not update the old versions

Just for the fun of it.

try removing that account from the one step update

creating a new account with the information set up for one step update

make sure that you select the bank name from the list that quicken pops up as you start to type rather than typing it in completely

That should do a download as part of the account setup If it works it should continue to work and you can copy the transactions from the old account to the new one and delete the old account ( just highlight them and right click on them and select move to account) you can do a page at a time

if there are more than you want to do you can just create a transfer to zero out the old account and create a starting balance in the new one and leave the old one for historical data. ( reports will automatically combine them unless you say otherwise. )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did all that earlier. All of what you have suggested did not work. As you said the bank does not seem to be compatible with the newer Quicken at this time. I plan to call tech support from Fifth Third and tell them my thoughts on this. What I have found online is that this has been a problem and Quicken and Fifth Third argued who is at fault. I plan to continue working on this until it is solved.

Thank you for giving me suggestions but I do not think that I should have to pay $48.00.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.

You can try disabling your firewall and making sure that you have the latest release for quicken. Other than that I dont know. It seems like maybe the bank and quicken havent quite got their collective act together yet

As an expert I only get paid if you click on the accept button. So if you feel that i gave the correct answer in a professional manner I would apreciate if you clicked on the accept button for me. It will not charge you additional money but allows me to be paid from your deposit or subscription plan.

For details on those you would need to speak toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX They deal with all billing issues. I have no knowledge of or authority to speak about your individual billing options.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you and I plan to do just that. You tried to help and I certainly appreciate it. It is very upsetting to me that I have a new bank to do business with and am running into something like that. I have used Quicken for I do not remember how long and never had this issue.