Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

I am trying to put Quicken 2012 on my computer thats off the

I am trying to put Quicken 2012 on my computer thats off the internet. I have xp. I keep getting error code: 2 during configuration and everything stops. William [email protected] Can you help?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 5 years ago.
What is the exact word for word error message that you get at exactly what point ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The program starts to download but within 5+/seconds- it stops while halfway thru configuring quicken. Then up pops a box stating: error installing quicken: error code: 2
Expert:  Robert M. replied 5 years ago.
That does not make any sense. If it is still downloading it is not setting up. Are you downloading the program from the internet or installing from a cd. Please use plain english on exactly what you are doing rather than technical terms and i will respond the same way.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Installing from a brand new CD from Quicken. Its in the CD Drive. It gives me a ICON. I click on the ICON. It starts to work then quites during configuration. With an error code: 2.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 5 years ago.

make sure that you are logged in with an account that has admin rights

open my computer

right click on the cd drive

select explore

you should get a list of files on the cd

one of them will be install.exe or setup.exe

double click on that

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No change. It starts into configuring quicken, then stops halfway thru with the error code: 2
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is no more information. It does not go past where I said.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 5 years ago.

Thats the only error that you get is error code 2 ?

Thats a pretty rare error and its usually because the computer does not meet the minimum requirements for space or ram or cpu.

usually when quicken wont install its because of the wrong version of net framework but thats usually a different error.

These are the system requirements are you running service pack 2 on xp ?

Here's what you'll need to run Quicken 2012 for Windows ...

Processor1 GHz
Operating SystemWindows XP SP2+, Vista, Windows 7 (32- and 64-bit)
Memory1 GB
Hard Disk SpaceUp to 450 MB free space; up to 1 GB if .NET not installed
Display1024x768 or higher resolution
CD-ROM DriveRequired
Internet56 Kbps (broadband recommended for online services)
PrinterAny printer compatible with Windows XP SP2 or later
Additional SoftwareMicrosoft .NET 2.0 or later (included in Quicken installer)
Windows Installer 3.1 (included in Quicken installer)
Internet Explorer 6.0 or later (included in Quicken installer)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thats a wild broad answer. I have XP. It had been running Quicken 2005 perfect. I removed it from my computer. If you can't figure old why, we'll forget i ever talked to you.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 5 years ago.
thats a wild guess based on the extremely limitted information that you have given me. Which is why i asked for MORE information. If you would prefer i can just send you solutions for wild guesses and you can try them all. But really it would be easier and faster for both of us if you would answer my questions as to whether your computer meets the system requirements for quicken 2012 as i gave them to you above. If it doesnt than quicken 2012 is not going to work and it is a waste of time to try anything else. If it does meet those requirements we can look at other causes and solutions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thats a wild broad answer. I have XP. It had been running Quicken 2005 perfect. I removed it from my computer. If you can't figure old why, we'll forget i ever talked to you. Processor Version5.1.2600. service pack2 build 2600. XP HOME EDITION. Total Memory 512 MB. 1024 x 768 Yes. Microsoft .NET 91.8 MB 22 OCT 2004. vIRTUAL mEMORY 2.0 GB, AVAILABLE MEMORY 1.966 GB, PAGE FILE SPACE 1.22GB. INTERNET EXPLORER 6.0.2900.2180. Thats all I could find.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 5 years ago.

well it requires 1gb of ram and you say you only have 512 mb That might be a problem.

That would seem to be the most likely reason for the error.

Memory is pretty cheap and 512 is a bit low these days.

You keep saying that it ran a program developed 7 years ago like that means it should run a modern one. It doesnt. Computers get stronger and faster programs change to take advantage of it.

You can try making sure that the old version of quicken was completely removed and you are doing a clean install of the new one using the instructions and qclean tool on this page

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/using-qcleanui-to-uninstall-quicken/GEN82227.html

However I think the problem is with the amount of RAM memory. It is not a "broad and general answer" That is what i told you was the most likely cause based on the error message you gave me before i knew what type of system you had. And your system in fact does not meet all the requirements to run quicken 2012. So my "wild guess" turned out to be right. Perhaps its not so wild after all.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My basic request was to answer why I had Quicken configuration error code: 2. Their is an answer that you are ignoring. What is it?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 5 years ago.

I believe that it is because your computer configuration does not reach minimum standards for that version of quicken. But it is not a standard quicken error code. It may be an xp installer error code. If anything there should be a more descriptive error before you get that.

I am sorry that I can not give you "this is exactly what that means, push the blue button and it will go away" Thats not how computers work. What does your car mean when the "check engine light" goes on ? Any one of a 100 problems which you need to plug a machine in to get just a basic idea of WHERE the problem may be. And then you have to actually pull it apart to figure out exactly what the problem is. computers are 100 times more complicated than cars. Many different things can cause the same error message and many parts of the computer programming can put out errors and they will all use a number for a different thing.

My best expert opinion is that you got that message because your computer does not meet the system requirements for that version of quicken. That is what my research on the cause of that error told me was the most likely cause. In fact your computer does NOT meet minimum system requirements. I see no reason to think that it would be anything else at this point.