DrQuickBooksnQuicken
DrQuickBooksnQuicken, Quickbooks Pro Certified
Experience:  Advanced Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor including Point of Sale & Enterprise (PC or Mac)
48038876

My quickbooks pro 2011 freezes up on me for no reason I can

My quickbooks pro 2011 freezes up on me for no reason I can find. This happens in the middle of a busy work day and the only way to get it to respond that I have found is to re boot the computer. Is there a bug in my program?
Linda, East Beach Wine Co.
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  DrQuickBooksnQuicken replied 2 years ago.
This sounds more like a memory or user license problem.
How many users licenses do you have?
How much RAM do you have on your machine?
Press F2 key in QB and tell me your file size.
You can also find your RAM info there as well
Go to the folder you keep QB in and tell me your TLG file size.
When did you last do a manual backup within the program?
For POS, do you back up every night or when you shut down the program?
Are you sending detailed data over or just summaries?
Does the POS and QB file reside on the same machine?
If yes, why is QB running at the same time as POS?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Let me answer all of your questions and get your response back. It will take a few minutes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

QB just froze up again. so frustrating..... This did not use to happen but it does happen now almost daily.

I am the bookkeeper for the co and I am also the inventory receiver into POS. Occasionally, I also complete everflow sales from this server computer, therefore I keep both QBs and POS open at the same time during the day.

We back up every night through on line back up.

We have one QB license and paid for 2 POS licenses so we can run it on the server and a client station (the cash register).

It seems that this freezing of the program started after we installed the POS 10.0 version (which is huge, we were on 5.0 before and never had problems).

If QB is frozen, how can I answer your other questions?

You can answer most of my questions by going to the folder you store the QB file.

Where do you store your manual backups?

For memory, go to System under Control Panel.

BTW, POS 10.0 is a huge memory hog.

Which machine is your POS headquarters machine. The server or the register?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have 1.99 GB of RAM, 2.60 GHz

What is a
TLG file?

I store my manual backups, (only 3 most current for QBs and I think only current for POS, since I always replace file) in My Documents.

The server is the headquarters machine for POS. We had to add RAM to the client register because it couldn't handle 10.0.

By the way, we are really unhappy with 10.0 because it made transactions and information gathering more difficult, in a retail environment, it should be better and faster. We wish we had stuck with 5.0 but when upgrading our security software and having problems, we were told by Intuit that QBPOS 5.0 is no longer supported. We feel duped!

If I no longer run both programs on the server at the same time, will my problems stop? I can do that.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have closed down the POS on the server and QB is running fine. Is that going to solve my problem?

You should have POS HQ on the register as the main workstation. You can use the server (or the computer in the back) as a second register and link it to your register workstation. QB should either be on the register workstation or the server (where ever it is used). POS exports those files to QB. Let me know how that works.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Now I am completely confused. I don't know that either computer is the HQ. I don't remember being asked that question when we installed POS version 10.0.

QB is and will remain on the server which is in an office, not on the sales floor. It has always been that way for confidentialty reasons.

I know that POS exports files to QB. I have been using that feature since 2005.

What does any of this have to do with the fact that QB freezes up if POS is open on the same register for any amount of time?

Yesterday I closed POS on the server and didn't have any problems with QB for the rest of the day. Then when it was time to close the business for the day, I opened POS transfered the files and backed up, then closed POS.

Then I backed up and closed QB. I didn't have any trouble with QB freezing up with POS open for the period of time it took to transfer the data.

My computer for the server is roughly 2 years old and was built by my tech guy specifically to be the server. It has lots of room left on its ram

the cash register is not a powerful computer and I had to add ram to run POS 10.0.

So I repeat , will keeping POS closed during the day on the server stop QB from freezing up?

Keeping POS closed during the day on the server should stop QB from freezing up.

If you had to add ram to your register computer to run POS and it freezes up when QB is also running, then it sounds that this is a memory issue. Both programs require a lot of memory. If you don't have enough memory, what do you think happens? Why do you only have 2GB? Take a look at your Task Manager and see how much memory both require to run.

Unless you need to run POS as a register on the server, you shouldn't be. You still haven't told me why you need to. You also haven't answered my other questions. How can I help you if you won't work with me?
Experience: Advanced Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor including Point of Sale & Enterprise (PC or Mac)