Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.

I am using Quicken version 7.0 for dos. I have purchased Quicken

Customer Question

I am using Quicken version 7.0 for dos. I have purchased Quicken basic 2005 and Quickbooks pro version 6. I want to convert the dos version to one of the window versions.
I have a problem with the DOS version. It will not give me a report . I get two different error messages.:
"unable to load index file" AND
"working memory is full Code = 8888" Then it has the following under the error message.
"to free up additional RAM memory, try exiting to DOS and unloading memory resident programs. Can you help me get my report on the dos version? Can you guide me as to which windows program I can convert the dos files?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  bbl242003 replied 2 years ago.

bbl242003 :

welcome, please confirm that your using quicken 2007 for OS dos, OR a different operating system version?

Customer :

No. I am using quicken version 7 for DOS. This program is over 12 years old.

Customer :

I want to know what Code =8888 means. Up until last year, I never had any problem with the program doing a p&l or balance sheet report. After I input 2010 figures, I get these error messages and it will not do any reports. can you help?

Expert:  bbl242003 replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  bbl242003 replied 2 years ago.
Welcome back, you said "I get these error messages"

what other error messages do you get besides the 8888?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
"Index file is full" is the other error message, which precedes the "8888" message.
Expert:  bbl242003 replied 2 years ago.
This is a good time to backup any relevant data then reinstall quicken 7 for dos and the errors will clear.

You may want to consider upgrading your quicken version in the foreseeable future. Doing so would prevent loss in functionality and compatibility with banking institutions.

Let me know what happens after you clean install.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your answer is incomplete. If I use either my windows 98 computer or my 3.1 windows computer, I will have to restore my data to the quicken program. That restoration is what is causing these error messages. AT this point all of my computers give me the error messages, as all of the computers have been loaded with the Quicken 7.0 program.

Can I just delete the quicken program from one of the two computers, leaving all my other programs intact, and then re-install the quicken program and then try to restore the files?

Expert:  bbl242003 replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that is exactly what you will want to do,

Make a good backup of any relevant files then completely uninstall the older quicken , then install a fresh new application
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Before I tried to unistall the Old version, I attempted to go to other files (companies data) that I have on the directory. Each one was successful in getting a P&L statement.
It appears that the file I was needing to get a P&L on is the one that is giving me the error messages, not the Quicken program itself. All the files were able to be accessed in the past including the one I need, until I input all the 2010 data in the file that is now giving me the errors, and then restored it each to of the computers. Now all the computers have the same error message on this file only. Thanks for your help so far. Tell me what you think I should do with this "bad" file to get it working?
Expert:  bbl242003 replied 2 years ago.
This is a great,time to take advantage of validation and super validation

Open quicken

Click file operations

Select the bad file

Then validate and super validate as needed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this doesn't help. I am using Quicken 7.0 for DOS. I am using windows 98 and I started the computer in the DOS Mode. I have a Laser Jet III Old Machine which is the only printer that will still print a DOS application. All the other Jets use USB ports and only print from Window commands. I was able to print the Bank register of the "bad" file. the register goes back to 01-01-2005. The Printer printed out most of the register.

I don't know what you mean when you ask me to select the bad file and then validate and super validate. My quicken program does not have but "File Activities" and from there you can select any of the files, but thats where it ends, and there is no Validation to be used. I can place the file in a different directory, I can export it ,I can delete it, I can do a lot of things but not Validate a File. Need your help and expertise. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am still waiting for more information on Validation and super Validation.

I have not heard anything from you.

Please Respond.

Expert:  bbl242003 replied 2 years ago.
Im opting out await word from the next expert
Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.

That version is VERY old. It may not have a validate function. You say that the backup file is no good either ?

There is supposed to be a validate and supervalidate on quicken 6 so i would think it would be there for 7. Instructions are about 3/4 of the way down on this page

http://web.intuit.com/support/quicken/docs/w_corruptdata.html

You are quite probably out of luck with it. There are a few things that you can try but i dont guarantee any of them to work or even to not make it worse. So definately make a copy of your file using a dos / windows copy command and try to make a new backup of it NOT overwriting any backups you might have now which could very well be in better shape than what you get.

Then you can try upgrading to a newer version of quicken. Although I dont think that the newer ones will run under win 98. You can try a copy of quicken dos 8 from this page

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/install--register--and-convert/using-an-intermediate-version-to-convert-older-versions-of-quicken/GEN82211.html

Or that version MAY have export and import functions. If you can export it to a qif file and then create a new blank file you can import the qif file back into the blank file. That worked with some older versions. It wont work for the newer ones, I dont know if your version is too old to have that feature or not. It would be under the file menu if it was there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try to follow your instructions as best I can. Remember, I am using all the versions of Windows OS,; 3.1, 98, XP and 7. I use 98 in the DOS mode to Print the reports from Quicken 7. I input data into the Quicken 7 program using an XP pro computer OS. I then Copy the completed data info and then restore to the 98 computer. I have input data on the Quicken 7 program from all 3 of my window computers, even though none can print the reports. That's why I end up having to use the 98 system to print, because Quicken 7 is a DOS program, and none of the other windows OS will print from a DOS file.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.

Well if you do have xp and win 7 you should probably bite the bullet and get a copy of 2011. It will work on the new computers and it is supported by intuit. It should print with no problem.

2011 is one of the best quickens for converting old data but i dont know that it will read the dos 7 version directly. You may have to go through 8 and then 2000 or 2004 in between.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I downloaded Quicken 8 for DOS and did restore of my company "George", and the restore was sucessful. I brought up the company and went to the bank account and proceeded to request a report (P&L for Last Year). The same error message comes up and it says for me to exit to DOS and off load memory resident programs from DOS.

Can you tell me what this means. It says the file is too large and I need to exit to dos to make more room by removing or off loading memory resident files,

Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.

How many years of data do you have on there ? There is really no need to go back more than 7 years as the irs doesnt even require that. Most people get away with 2 or 3 or 4 years max.

Again I am not sure about that version but there may be an archive function under the file menu. Either year end copy or archive maybe under file utilities.

Or you might want to download the 2004 version and try that. As a windows based program it is going to manage memory on xp a lot better than the dos based quicken will

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have data that goes back to 1/1/05.

The total file is approx 1045KB. I nearly fills a 3.5 disc that hold 1400KB.

I still don't know what "error 8888" "working memory full - code 8888"

and I don't know what it means to offload memory resident programs.

can you explain?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.

What working memory means is RAM memory the stuff that is in the actual chips when they say 1 gb main memory or RAM. Picture a desk. Your hard drive is like the drawers and file cabinets where you can store things that you are not using. The RAM is your desktop where you put things that you are actually working on. The more RAM the more things that you can keep on your desktop and work with at one time.

Resident memory programs are those that are sitting on your desktop and running and taking up space on your desktop. Some you didnt really start. Say like a clock and a pencil sharpener and a calendar the pictue of your kids. You arent actually working on them but they are still taking up space on your desktop that you cant use for something else. So if you want to spread a huge map out on your desktop it might not fit because of those things that are taking up room.

On a computer anything that has an icon down on the bottom right near the clock is running even if you are not actually using it or thinking about it. anti virus programs / the little thing that tells you what the weather is etc.

It is a bit more confusing because you are running a DOS version of quicken and when you are actually running windows it allocates memory for the dos program which doesnt know how to use memory the way windows does. Windows will swap it in and out effectively putting things in your drawer for a few seconds while it gives you the entire desktop to work with and then shoves that thing in a drawer and pulls the other stuff out and then switches it back very fast so that you dont really notice that you cant fit everything on your desktop at once. But DOS doesnt do that and the DOS version of quicken wont work that way and doesnt know that windows can. So it just sees that it doesnt have enough room on your desktop and rather than making room it gives you an error and tells YOU to make room and then run it again. That is what the error message you are getting is.

So you can try

A. making the file smaller

B. making sure nothing else is running in windows before you start the quicken

C. upgrade to a windows version of quicken which will handle a 1 mb file with no problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have the file on a 3.5 discette that hold 1.4mb.

Which quicken could I upgrage to from this version?

I have Quicken 8 downloaded, but it won't run with out me making the desktop bigger. I have Quicken Basic. I have Quicken 2002 new users edition on my Windows 7 operating system which has a 3.5" drive a:\ and it runs quickenVersion 7 for DOS. It also has a laser printer attached (HP laserjet 2200d). I would prefer to use the windows 7 computer. Can it handle a file conversion from DOS Quicken?

Expert:  Robert M. replied 2 years ago.

For windows 7 you would need to go to 2010 or 2011 deluxe version.

I have seen it read down to quicken 2000 but I would suggest going to 2004 in between if necesary.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate the information. Since quicken 7 for dos runs on Windows 7, and it already has 2002 installed on windows 7, can't I try to covert files from the 3.5 diskette to quicken 2002.