Bridget Martin
Bridget Martin, Accountant
Experience:  10+ yrs experience on Consulting end-users in QuickBooks.

How to remove old outdated quicken files

Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Bridget Martin replied 5 years ago.

Are you wanting to delete old data files or older transactions in your current data file?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
older transactions in current data file
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is it Possible to remove the older fdata in the Quicken data in the file? Haven't been able to do it so far.

Yes in quicken to remove old data from your current file you do a year end clean up of the file. Please see these instructions for details.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That solution does not fix my problem. What ! wish to do is remove the old Quicken files from my C: file on the hard drive. I have old data that goes back to 2007 and wish to eliminate all those older files beecause they take up a very large amount of space on the C: file. Is there any way to rmove all those from the C: drive without messing up the current data ? If that could be done that would fix the current problem that I have.

thank you

Yes. If you have separate data files, it is as simple process. I recommend that you make a copy of them first, either to a flash drive or an external hard drive. You can do this by right mouse clicking the file, then go to my computer and open the external drive, right mouse click then choose copy. Now you may go back and delete the extra file off of your hard drive. If you have multiple files with extension qdf you can remove all of them but your current file without it effect the current file.

If you do not have an external hard drive, you can use an online backup service to make the copy of the file. iDrive is free up to 2GB.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That worked I removed most of those file off my C drive Thank you Pray that I don't mess it up now. thanks