Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
23372949

I get an error code OL-221-A when trying to download credit

I get an error code OL-221-A when trying to download credit card transactions from the bank. What do I need to know to fix it? I can go online to the bank and can access each card. Why will Quicken refuse the transactions?
Category: Financial Software
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

according to quicken that error is because the bank software made an incorrect response to a computer querry.

the recomendation is to try it again and then contact your bank.

the way this works is that quicken provides a format and the banks have to meet it. You might have to go a bit higher up the line in the bank. Their IT setup person just knows how you are supposed to set up quicken which pretty much sets itself up. You may do better going through the bank website help contacts they are often totally different departments or even a third party company handling the website for the bank

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, Rob,

I already went through Franklin Templeton Bank's Web Master, and he said their obligation is to attach the transactions to the basic Quicken Format, but after that it is Quicken's responsibility to fix it.

I'm wondering if there is a pin # XXXXX to change. We had the same problem with the checking accounts and after FTB changed the pin #, the checking account transactions downloaded, but not the credit card transactions.

My dilemma is that this is the President of the bank's personal credit card accounts so I have access to the best help, but this is dragging on and, I as a consultant, have a deadline to meet. Any specific questions to ask the bank?

Thanks,
Evelyn
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

this is quickens description of the error

OL-221-A -YesQuicken was not able to complete your request. The next time you go online for this financial institution, Quicken will attempt to re-send your original request. Please try again later. If the problem continues, call <financial institution name> at <contact info>.Quicken did not receive a valid response from the server.Parse error in server response. Check ConnLog.txt file for parse checker error. Check OFXLog.txt for offending OFX.

Maybe somebody at the bank has a better idea of what the connlog or ofxlog should look like

what version of quicken are you using ?

How are you trying to do the update. I have had problems with some banks that require extra security on log in. Usually it will not download directly from the register but if you go to tools / one step update and download ONLY from that one account it will allow you to answer the extra questions ( perhaps put the pin number in )

As to it being up to quicken or up to the bank who matches who's format

what that comes down to is who is bigger quicken or the franklyn templeton bank. And who needs who more.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We are using Quicken 2010 Premier. I will try your steps and get back to you.

Thanks!
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

ok let me know

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was told by the Franklin TB webmaster that it is not possible to retrieve credit card transactions from within Quicken. We have to pull it up in the bank website only and dowload from there. However, it istill won't download by way of the online banking. I sent your comments to the President's Secretary to contact the FTB web Master

I'll let you know as soon as I get a response.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.
well that is the banks website. you can go to the banks website and download as a qxf or qif file and then import into quicken. But that sounds like the bank has decided not to bother meeting quickens format for downloading credit card transactions directly
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will pass along your information to the President's secretary. She may be able to get someone at the bank to research this further. I will get back to you when I have an answer. Thanks!
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

ok let me know

thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here is an email message to the secretary of the president after she sent your comments to FTB:

If there are OFX log files, then they would be on the workstation where Quicken is installed. Keep in mind that the Credit Card files that are being imported into Quicken are not coming directly from an OFX server. The Credit Card accounts use “WebConnect”, not “DirectConnect” (like the bank’s deposit accounts). If you were working with someone from Intuit support, I’m surprised that they did not try and remotely look at your workstation for these log files. It also sounds like they are assuming you are talking about a “DirectConnect” interface from the comments below.

I’m downloading a version of Quicken right now so that I can test downloading transactions and see if I get a similar error. At least we will know if this is a global or just account specific error.

P. Eric Huber

Senior Technical Lead

Franklin Templeton Technologies | Wealth Management and Banking Team

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yeah,

I just received an encouraging email again. I think something you suggested got them to try something else. Here is what Eric said:

All: I found the problem! I’m not sure if this has been an
issue all along, but I kind of doubt it. I created a ticket
on FDR and let them know the issue (Ticket(NNN) NNN-NNNN.
Basically the QFX files created by FDR from the credit
card site include commas as thousand-separators in the
transaction amounts on the import file. These are causing
the entire file to fail to import to Quicken. Since Jenny
usually has one or two transactions over $1000.00,
this is why her files are not loading to Quicken. This also
leads me to believe that FDR probably changed something
somewhere recently that impacted this program since I’m
sure we would have seen it previously.
Daphne: I do have a little bit of a work around that we
can do until FDR fixes the problem – we can edit the file
before loading it to Quicken. Call me tomorrow and I can
go through this with you.

P. Eric Huber

Senior Technical Lead

XXX-XXX-XXXX (office) | XXX-XXX-XXXX (mobile)

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

lol thats unbelievable. extra commas for the thousands and knocks everything out of wack because they are using commas as seperators most likely

i love it. goes into my ridiculous errors collection

Edited by RobMark on 11/3/2010 at 4:39 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You've been great! I think they can fix it from here, but who knows? May I leave this open until the end of today? I'm not feeling confident with the bank's end at this point.

Thanks,
Evelyn
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

lol yes certainly although i am not sure how much more i can help you as it really seems the bank is in error and they are at least acknowledging they need to fix their part.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You are my security blanket! :) OK? I'll accept the answer later today.

THANKS!
Evelyn
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 years ago.

lol sounds comfy

that would be great thank you

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30 yrs. of computer experience in financial and marketing departments.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks again for all your patience. We should be on our way to fixing the problem. I had a webinar with the FTB tech support, and I have a work-around until the credit card department fixes it permanentaly. I guess they installed an update to their FDR ?? and it created the problem.
I will accept your answer now.

Evelyn