How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Tax Robin Your Own Question

Tax Robin
Tax Robin, Tax Advisor
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 13343
Experience:  15 plus years International Tax Law, Instructor
Type Your Australian Tax Question Here...
Tax Robin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do I pay tax in Australia on inheritance from overseas

Customer Question

Do I pay tax in Australia on inheritance from overseas
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australian Tax
Expert:  Tax.Appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.
Q: Do I pay tax in Australia on inheritance from overseasA: There is no inheritance tax in Australia. Assets acquired through inheritance and subsequently sold will be subject to capital gains tax though. You can refer the following document for more detailed information. Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.
Expert:  Tax Robin replied 1 year ago.
Hello,It is true that there is no inheritance tax in Australia and statement about capital gains but there may be some tax obligations for beneficiaries, depending on the nature of any distribution they may receive.For Australian resident beneficiaries, the rules are the same, regardless of whether the deceased estate is in Australia or overseas. Where the income distribution from an overseas deceased estate has been subject to foreign tax, they may be entitled to a foreign income tax offset.If the trust distribution represents corpus of the deceased estate, no tax is payable by the deceased estate or the beneficiary. If income is received then that must be declared by the beneficiary. Beneficiaries will need to disclose that income distribution from the deceased estate in their personal tax return, and pay tax at the general individual tax rates.