How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Tax Robin Your Own Question

Tax Robin
Tax Robin, Tax Advisor
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 13330
Experience:  15 plus years International Tax Law, Instructor
Type Your Australian Tax Question Here...
Tax Robin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am married and deposit my paycheck into my husbands bank

Customer Question

i am married and deposit my paycheck into my husband's Australian bank account. I am not an Australian citizen. My husband is an Australian citizen, but works and resides in Hong Kong full time. He is also a Hong Kong permanent resident. Does he have to claim my work salary deposits into his Australian Bank as income?

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australian Tax
Expert:  Tax Robin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you today.
He has to declare your income but he is not taxed on the income.
It includes any foreign income that is not taxable in Australia. He must include any exempt foreign employment income.
This is used to see if he claimed any tax benefit or family assistance.
It is informational reporting and not tax reporting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Received your reply.. I need to to be clear that my husband is an Australian citizen and I am living and working in Australia. I am not an Australian citizen, but my salary is taxed in Australia....and I deposit it into my husbands Australian Bank account.

Again, my husband resides outside of Australia now, and works full time in Hong Kong.

So, based on this information, does your answer remain the same, and can you site a tax reference law for me in Australia?

Expert:  Tax Robin replied 1 year ago.
The income of a spouse is needed for reporting but not for taxation of a spouse unless one owes and the reporting spouse has that debt placed on their return for payment.
You must declare your own income in Australia but your husband is not taxed on your income.