How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Tax Robin Your Own Question

Tax Robin
Tax Robin, Tax Advisor
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 194
Experience:  15 plus years International Tax Law, Instructor
Type Your Australian Tax Question Here...
Tax Robin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Income year 2014- Allowance $8860 D5 Other work

Customer Question

Income year 2014- Allowance $8860 D5 Other work related Expenses $25247 I am a Sign Technic***** *****ving out of a suitcase, on the road throughout Major Country Towns & Cities in NSW, Qld & NT. My home address is Lisarow NSW where I get to spend the odd weekend when working at centres nearby or in Sydney & a few weeks recreation leave each year otherwise, I spend very little time there throughout the year considering my work base is Coffs Harbour NSW. During 2013/14, I received a taxable meal allowance of $35 p/d when travelling, I simply divided $8860 by 35 & came up with 253 days that I was required to sleep away from home multiplied by $99 per day TA = $25047 I am not claiming accommodation cost as my employer pays for all the accommodation costs at the centres I stay at. The taxation office have rejected my claim & fined me $1454.35 stating that I did not exercise reasonable care when I prepared my tax return. I am only claiming this because my work told me I could claim $99 for incidentals per day 2 years ago without maintaining receipt because it is under the agreed threshold. This is the first year they have questioned it. I now have 60 days to object. Can anyone give me some advise or guidance as to what I can do if anything.

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australian Tax